Friday, October 7, 2011

Green Reading List

Green Reading List For The Fall





My green reading list is important because most of these books require application and action.  I will spend the rest of the year reading environmental books from various areas of the green movement, and follow-up with a future review or demonstration.  In addition, I will do further study on natural cosmetics; and gardening (container and raised-bed).  


CATEGORIES
  • Going Green / Green Living
  • Food
  • History
  • Green and Sustainable Building
  • Business
  • Urban Farms and Gardening




Picture Yourself Going Green
Erinn Morgan
This book is broken down into an eight week  "going green" program with areas ranging from cosmeticsenergyclothingfood,  petstransportation, and more.


Freedom Colonies: Independent Black Texas in the Time of Jim Crow
Jack and Doris Smothers
I always wanted to learn about black Texas homesteads, which were quite different from the culture of sharecropping post-slavery.  Having a great-great grandfather who owned one of these homesteads, I'm embarrassed to say I knew little about his life.


The New Rules of Green Marketing
Jacquelyn Ottman
I'm only reading this for career reasons. I expected to learn about marketing tactics and a lot of new terms, but I'm getting a compassionate and well-rounded view of responsible green marketing.  This isn't a greenwashing manual! 


Vegan Soul Kitchen
Bryan Terry
 Web worker and author, Anne Zelenka, suggested vegan and vegetarian meals when traveling in her book Connect!   She mentioned how these meals were more flavorful, and I agree!  I plan to go vegan for a season, but I want to try new recipes.  Why not start with soul food!  I expect to get a twist on my grandmother's recipes from Vegan Soul Kitchen with an amazing flavor. I will document meals I cook from this book!


The Complete Idiot's Guide to Green Building and Remodeling
John Barrows
This is another career book for me.  The title sounds intimidating, but I find it to be as much a "green your home"  as  a "building and remodeling book."  I can't wait to review and share what I've learned.  Hopefully, I can give multiple demonstrations.


Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer
Novella Carpenter
I recently finished this book.  Novella Carpenter gave us a window seat into her urban farm experience in Oakland.  There's no way you can read this book and not get inspired to start gardening or urban farming. Expect a review soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment